Sunday, March 17, 2013

Why Beliefs Matter



What I believe about the world determines my experience of it.  A belief is an expectation.  Generally, I will find what I expect to find.  Psychologically, this has to do with what I am looking for.  It has to do with where I focus my attention.  It has to do with my field of vision.  If I am looking to the front, I will not notice what is behind me.

What I believe is true about the world provides a kind of conceptual map of the terrain.  My idea of where I am on my map will determine which way I think that I have to turn to get to where I want to go.  My beliefs control my decisions and the actions that come from them.  In that way, my beliefs control my behavior.  Together, my beliefs and my behaviors produce my outcomes.

But, on a more profound level, my beliefs determine my experience of the world because they actually create that experience.  The scriptural statement, “seek and ye shall find” is definite.  The statement is not “seek and ye may find” or “seek and you could find”.  It is not conditional.  It is definite because to “seek” something is to create it.  Of course you will find it.  You have created it.

A belief is merely a thought that you think repeatedly and hold to be true.  If you change your thought, you change your belief.  If you change your belief, you change the world that you live in.

You have control over the thoughts that you think.  You can choose them.  For that reason, you have control over the world that you live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment