Monday, April 26, 2010

We live in a world that contains no accidents. Everything that exists in our perception is there for a reason. There is no excess. Nothing is lost - ever. Every choice has a consequence. There are no free lunches.

The world is a teaching machine. It mirrors back my beliefs, my convictions, manifested in the "outer" conditions of my life. If I wish to know the content of my convictions, I merely need to examine those conditions. Those conditions are what I get for what I believe. Here is the point of power. I can change my beliefs. When I do, the conditions of my life will change.

Right there is a concise statement of the practical utility of philosophy. My world view creates the world I live in. What I give out comes back. Expectations invoke outcomes.

I am not interested in idle speculation. My investigations into the nature of reality eventually inform my behavior. There is no more practical field of study.

Check this out for yourself. Each life is an experimental subject ready to reveal wisdom to its observer. Each of us must find their own truth. Every bit of truth that is discovered changes the world. You do not contribute to the world by what you do but, rather, by what you are.

2 comments:

  1. There it is!!! The point of power is the conscious mind. Beliefs originate in the conscious mind. It does no good to point to the subconscious. The conscious mind has built it bit by wonderous bit.

    MN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the point of power IS located in the conscious mind. It is the cutting edge of awareness and the seat of choice. It is a flashlight directed on the manifest world. It has a bright but narrow beam.

    The creation of the manifest world comes from another place, a deeper and wiser place. By wiser, I mean having much greater information available. We call that place the subconscious mind. The contents of the subconscious may be brought into conscious awareness. The limitation to this is that the conscious mind has a processing capacity of about sixteen bits of data per second while the immense data richness of the subconscious is many orders of magnitude greater. For example, the total sensory inputs processed by the subconscious is estimated to be on the order of three million bits per second. This does not include inputs not derived through the physical senses that are believed to exist (universal mind). On this basis, I would say that the ability of the conscious mind to process reality is analogous to the attempt to drink the Pacific ocean through a cocktail straw.

    ReplyDelete